Logo

Back to main website

Great Futures Start Here

1999

November 1999: Guided by the efforts of Gordon Anderson, a steering committee gathered to formulate the foundation of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Indian River County.

2000

February 4, 2000: The Boys & Girls Clubs of Indian River County was incorporated.

June 2000: The first board meeting was held and Ken Felten was elected as Board President.

August 2000: The first paid professional, an Executive Director, was hired.

November 2000: The first clubhouse opened, located at Thompson Elementary School in the southern part of the county.

December 7, 2000: The Boys & Girls Clubs of Indian River County became an official member affiliate of Boys & Girls Clubs of America.

2001

January 2001: The Club became a member agency of the United Way.

April 2001: The Club moved from Thompson Elementary to a 3,000 square foot leased facility located in the South County at 683 27th Avenue, Vero Beach.

December 2001: The Club opened its second branch, Boys and Girls club of Sebastian in a 4,800 square foot rented facility, located at 250 Sebastian Boulevard, in the city of Sebastian.

2002

April 2002: Jay McNamara was elected as Chairman of the Board and served in that capacity until July 2013.

2005

May 1, 2005: Construction began for Phase I of the new Sebastian Branch located at 1415 Friendship Lane. Land for this facility was donated by the City. The Club opened on January 26, 2006.

2006

May 15, 2006: The Club signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Fellsmere to begin plans for a new club. The Club opened in November 2010.

2007

March 26, 2007: Based on favorable results from our Feasibility Study, the Board of Directors voted to move forward with a Capital Campaign.

November 5, 2007: The Board launched a Capital Campaign.

2008

February 21, 2008: The Boys & Girls Clubs signed a lease agreement with the City of Fellsmere.

August 12, 2008: The Boys & Girls Clubs signed a lease agreement with Indian River County.

2010

September 13, 2010: The new Vero Beach Clubhouse and Administrative Offices were officially opened.

November 1, 2010: The new Boys and Girls Club Fellsmere Clubhouse was opened after the renovation of the 1916 Schoolhouse. The historic building is shared with the City of Fellsmere, city utilities and the Frog Leg Festival.

2013

June 4, 2013: 2.5 acres of the land next to the Vero Club (known as the old jail) was added to our current lease with the County for future expansion of a multi-purpose recreational facility. Plans are currently underway.

2016

April 13, 2016: The expansion at the Vero Beach Boys & Girls Club was officially complete and the doors open for more children to attend and enjoy the Jake Owen Music Room, a new teen room, a turf playing field, and a full-court gym.

2019

November 21, 2019: The opening of our new, 8000 square-foot, Fellsmere Boys & Girls Club was officially complete, allowing us to serve approximately 40 additional children each year in Indian River County.

Today, the Boys & Girls Clubs of IRC is the fastest growing not-for-profit, youth development organization in Indian River County.